Discharge from inpatient mental health care can be both a cause for celebration and concern. Patients and their families need caring professionals to assist with goal-setting and provide the necessary support and linkages to follow those goals.
Here’s more about the benefits of community stabilization after a mental health hospitalization and where you can go for outstanding mental health treatment in Richmond, VA.
Community Stabilization Through Goal Setting
Mental health providers help individuals with pending hospital discharge and, after discharge, improve on the progress they have made as inpatients. The overall goal is stabilizing the person’s symptoms, functionality, and independence within the community, at home, at school, or in the place of employment.
More specific goals include:
- Increasing personal safety by taking prescribed medications and keeping appointments for therapy and check-ups with the mental health providers
- Getting social resources in place, including supportive housing if needed, and maintaining links to doctors and therapists
- Fostering acceptance within the person’s community and family
- Empowering self-care strategies
- Decreasing the need for crisis intervention services or additional hospitalizations
Benefits of Community Stabilization
Leaving the inpatient setting can feel overwhelming for the individual, caregivers, and family. That’s why the follow-up care provided by EPIC Health Partners is so critical. Frankly, it delivers a wealth of benefits through a careful, holistic focus on individual needs and goals within the environment most familiar to the person.
The benefits of community stabilization are:
- Improvement of self-care and self-advocacy
- Recognition and management of mental health symptoms
- Adherence to treatment plans, including taking medications and attending therapy sessions
- Engaging the individual’s peers, family, and other natural supports in recovery, care, skill-building, and encouragement
- Reduced need for intensive crisis interventions and hospitalizations
- Less chance of self-harm
- Improved engagement in beneficial social interactions
- Identification of feelings and increased ability for healthy self-expression
Epic Health Partners in Richmond, Danville, and Martinsville, VA
If your loved one is soon to be discharged from an inpatient mental health setting, you want to secure the best community stabilization services possible. Our team at EPIC Health Partners takes a detailed holistic approach to transition individuals to care and independence after hospitalization.
We will follow up with the individual to help build the skills needed to continue to improve in wellness, independence, interpersonal relationships, symptom management, and integration into the community.
To learn more about how our experienced mental health team can help or arrange a consultation, please call us today at (434) 835-4601 or fill out our convenient appointment request form. Also, please know that immediate help for a mental health crisis is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by calling emergency services at 911.
Alternatively, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline can help. Call (800) 273-TALK (8255), or text the word HOME to 741-741. You will get an immediate response. Hope and help are there for you or for a loved one in need.