The 5-step procedure for effective addiction treatment is an intervention involving both psychological and social attributes. It is based on the understanding that different addiction recovery stages require different approaches to treat them effectively.If the appropriate interventions are notput in place or are utilized at the wrong time in a person’s treatment, it can have a serious impact on their recovery and the effectiveness of their treatment.
Let’s learn more about the 5-step procedure, how it benefits addiction treatment, and where you can go for addiction treatment in Richmond, VA.
Understanding the Stages of Addiction Recovery
The stages of addiction recovery aren’t always black and white. Whilst some individuals may navigate through the different stages quickly and in perfect order, others may not.
- Precontemplation stage – Individuals in this first stage of addiction recovery often aren’t yet ready for an addiction treatment program and may have had multiple failed attempts at recovery. They may be defensive and have a complete lack of awareness about the negative impact of their behavior on them or others, seeing the use of substance as a positive thing in their life. Treatment is designed to focus on increasing substance knowledge and the harm they cause and building awareness.
- Contemplation stage –indicates that the person is ready to bring about a change in the future, but not immediately. Individuals are aware of the pros of becoming drug-free but are still drawn to the ‘benefits’ of their substance addiction. Treatment during this stage may focus on building motivation, establishing a good support network, and incorporating alternative and positive lifestyle changes, such as joining a gym.
- Preparation stage – Often in this stage, the individual is eager to achieve abstinence and may be taking positive steps in their life, such as regularly visiting their counselor, exercising, and participating in more positive activities. They may have started to reduce their substance use by going a day or two without, but it’s not uncommon for them to revert to the contemplation or precontemplation stage if they experience triggers or difficult emotions.
- Action stage – In this stage, the individual is committed to change and has made significant transformations in their lives,such as prolonged periods of abstinence and the ability to seek help from professionals before or after relapse. There will also be changes in other areas, such as self-care, appearance, and overall self-awareness. Counseling is an important element of treatment to guide them in understanding and managing their emotional lives, building self-discovery, getting to the root cause of feelings and (destructive) behaviors, and preventing relapse.
- Maintenance stage – The individual must keep working hard to prevent addiction recovery relapse by identifying the treatment gains that must be maintained, and understanding the ongoing risks. They continue with positive lifestyle changes to uphold sobriety, such as attending support groups and recreational activities, and getting regular exercise and sleep. In the maintenance stage, the urge to relapse is significantly reduced,helping to build confidence and belief in their ability to maintain abstinence long term.
Depending on the individual, the severity, and the type of addiction, along with other factors, the maintenance stage can last anywhere from six months to five years or more. In most cases, two to five years of commitment is required to ensure abstinence and positive change.
5 Effective Addiction Recovery Treatments
There are different approaches to addiction recovery. In many cases, a combination of treatments is needed to enable an individual to reduce or stop their substance use.
Addiction recovery treatments can include:
- Counseling/talk therapy – carried out by a trained professional, such as a psychologist or drug and alcohol counselor. It uses various techniques, such as psychological counseling and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), to better understand the reasons behind substance use and encourage motivation to become/stay drug-free.
- Medications – These have different functions and may be used to help reduce cravings, re-establish normal brain function, or block the good feelings caused by a substance.
- Psychiatric services – Substance use often co-occurs with other mental health disorders such as depression or anxiety. To treat addiction effectively, any underlying mental health conditions must be addressed and treated appropriately.
- Outpatient programs – Outpatient-based programs, such as Addiction Recovery and Treatment Services (ARTS), utilize evidence-based interventions emphasizingon wellness, recovery, and resiliency. Programs are designed to focus on each stage of recovery and incorporate aspects such as increasing knowledge of substances and their effects, introducing coping strategies, and relapse prevention.
- Residential treatment programs – Typically for significant substance use. The facilities provide a variety of specialists to deliver addiction treatment, including alcohol and drug counselors, psychiatrists, and therapists. A medically managed program of detoxification and withdrawal may be required, along with behavior therapy to help with relapse prevention and ongoing recovery.
Addiction Treatment in Richmond, VA
If you or a loved one need aneffective addiction treatment, contact EPIC Health Partners LLC. Our highly qualified and compassionate team of providers offers both clinic-based and community-based behavioral and mental health services for adults and children.
Our main goal is to provide therapeutic interventions using evidence-based practices for affected individuals. If you require support, we will assess and identify your personal needs and provide a course of treatment designed to help you enjoy a positive and rewarding life.
To learn more about our services, contact EPIC Health Partners today at (434) 835-4601 or use our convenient and secure Request an Appointment form.