Our mind and body work in coordination, so mental health is a key part of overall health. Having good mental health is more than just the absence of mental disabilities and disorders – indeed, it’s proactively maintaining a balanced psychological state.
But that’s easy to say, not so easy to do.
Many people deal with mental health issues such as anxiety and depression every day. These problems interfere with family and social life, work, and daily activities. Seeking treatment from a mental health provider can help you get back on track.
Mental health patients may wonder what kind of questions your healthcare provider will ask you during your appointment. These are not “gotcha” questions but are rather to help the practitioner understand how you’re feeling and thinking, so appropriate treatment can be administered to help you feel better and more balanced.
Let’s talk about what your mental healthcare provider might ask you about your mental health during your visit, and where you can go throughout Virginia to receive world-class mental health treatment.
Questions You May Be Asked by Your Mental Health Provider
These questions are often open-ended and may relate to physical health, well-being, choice and control, relationships and belonging, self-perception, hope, and activity. Be ready to answer any or all of the following questions during your appointment:
- Have you ever experienced a traumatic life event, such as sexual assault, armed assault, or witnessing a tragedy?
- Have you experienced lower-than-usual interest in activities that you usually enjoy?
- Have you ever experienced panic, extreme fear, or an anxiety attack?
- Do your feelings of discomfort and anxiety get worse when you’re around other people?
- Do you ever feel suicidal, or want to hurt yourself?
- Do you ever feel homicidal, or want to hurt someone else?
- Do you sometimes hear voices or see things that aren’t real?
- Do you ever feel edginess, anxiety, or paranoia?
- What were your sleeping habits over the recent weeks or months? Do you have difficulty sleeping or restlessness?
- What have been your eating habits recently? Have you noticed any changes in your eating patterns or appetite?
- Have you been bothered by stress, sadness, or low feelings recently?
- How frequently do you feel little or no interest in activities you used to enjoy?
- How often have you felt that your mood or life was not under your control in the past few months?
- How confident do you feel in your capabilities?
- Over the past few months, how often have you been satisfied with yourself?
- Have you recently felt that your future is bleak?
- What are your dreams and goals for the future, and how often have you thought about them?
- How “supported” do you feel by the people around you, such as family and friends?
- How much have you been involved in important projects or activities recently?
- How have you been feeling about your relationships lately?
- How often have you felt restlessness, tiredness, or fidgety over recent months?
Caring Providers for Mental Health Patients in Richmond, Martinsville, and Danville, VA
If you think that you or a loved one has a mental health disorder or mental distress, and you are seeking a solution, look no further than EPIC Health Partners. Our professional mental health counselors are here to assess your mental health problem and to devise an appropriate intervention.
To schedule a consultation with one of our mental health providers, give us a call at (434) 835-4601, or fill out our appointment request form online. We look forward to helping you begin to feel like yourself again.